Action For Community Development
Founded in April 2006.
Vision: The integral development of communities for a world without poverty.
Values: Integrity, Transparency, Accountability and Teamwork.
Mission: To empower and inspire women and youths of selected local communities to have a sense of responsibility in order to ensure a healthy, peaceful and prosperous community with access to information and innovative projects for integral development.
- Popular participation, human rights, governance(revenue transparency and accountability in oil and extractive industry sector).
- Community information and community special projects scheme.
- Community Health Development( Reproductive Health, HIV & AIDS and Malaria).
- Water, Sanitation,Environment and Climate Change
- Community Research Advocacy and Peace Building.Conflict Transformation, Natural Resources Management,Post Conflict Re-integration, alternative options
- Community Women and youth empowerment, sustainable livelihoods. Women’s Rights
Target Group: Communities, Women and Youths.
How We Work.
We believe that poverty is mostly caused by human factors and systems that keep local people poor especially by depriving them of what is rightfully theirs. We also believe that if given the opportunity and necessary support local people can rise out of poverty and live a life of dignity. Therefore in our work to fight poverty we employ two main approaches-
- The rights based approach to poverty eradication by training local community people to be empowered and conscious of their rights, be able to hold their leaders in government accountable and advocate for positive changes in their community.
- The community self help approach which recruits local volunteers from the communities and equips them with training on community development(civil responsibility education, value re orientation, human rights, community health education (reproductive health education, malaria e.t.c) thus enabling them to partner with others in the community for community development.
- We know that for development to reach the grass root communities that we represent, there must be revenue transparency at the federal, state and local government levels. It was this knowledge and passion that led us to join the Publish What you Pay Coalition in Nigeria since October 2006. Few months after we started.
Also in our work we communities we recognize that communities are made up of people and their neighbourhoods. And communities cannot be developed if either of the two is neglected. Thus focus is on neighbourhood development and people development(empowerment) with women and youths as our target groups.
We also work with special groups (communities), like associations, pressure groups, trade unions, e.t.c to assist them to re focus and strengthen their organization for improved service delivery
THE KEY DEVELOPMENT AND HUMAN RIGHTS CHALLENGES OF COMMUNITIES THAT WE ADDRESS
1.Marginalisation of local community people and exclusion from governance and development .
2. Lack of transparency and accountability in governance and oil and revenue sector.
3. Poor health- low level of knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and lack of community capacity to respond to important health issues.
4.Environmental degradation and mismanagement (lack of safe water and sanitation)
5.Lack of a sense of responsibility for development by local communities.
6.Poverty and lack of empowerment opportunities for women and youth.
7. Community peace and security challenges.
8. Exclusion of local community women from development and infringement of their rights.
Some Past Activities
*Attended a course on Managing Natural Resources in Post Conflict Recovery and Re-integration in Montreux Switzerland From 26th of February to 3rd of March 2012.
*. Served as local organizing NGO for Social Actions Political Education Seminar and Camp in Benin City (March 10th -15th ) 2009.
*.Organized one week human rights training with materials provided by Women Ink International of young ladies (18-30 years) on (Empowering Young Women To Lead Change).
* Served as the official Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) Complimentary Observer for Edo State in the 2011 General Elections.
*.Currently implementing European Union Micro Projects 9 EUMPP9 in 10 Communities in Edo State with governance HIV and Gender Mainstreaming as part of project implementation. March 2011 till date
*. Organized advocacy rally to mark the international Women’s Day March 2010.
*. Organized a one month sanitation intervention to clean up Edo State as part of activities to mark this years World Environment Day. (From 5th – 26th of June 2010).
*.Attended NEITI meeting with Budget Groups in Edo State and participated as one of the paper discussants. June 9th 2010.
* Step Down Training for local communities on the Edo State Strategic Plan on HIV & AIDS (August 2008)
* Peer Education Training of Member and Partners (July 12 – August 16th 2008).
Palliative Home Based Care Training (August 2008)
*. Establishment of HIV & AIDS Information Network
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/hivaidsinfonetwork/ (August 2008.)
* Organized HIV / AIDS Training Course for AIESEC Club University of Benin Chapter as part of requirements for them to implement Project Ask. (July 2008- September 2008)
* Implementing Community Women Safe Sex and Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV (COWSSAP) Project . (Septemer 2011 to August 2012.)
* .Commenced implementation of the Improving Reproductive Health in Nigeria (IRHIN) Project as the CSO implementation partner in Edo State with Society For Family Health and funded by USAID.October 2009 – Octoberber 2010. With final project dissemination meeting in May 2011.
.Research of informal policing structures in Edo State. (January-March
*.2007) (Project identified the various vigilante groups in the state and their level of cooperation with the police and level of human rights violations.
8..Fostering a better police community relationship by organizing police station visitors week in Edo State. October 24- 27th 2007.in conjunction with Altus Global Alliance and Cleen Foundation. (www.altus.org)
*. Organisation of World Water Monitoring Day in Edo State. (October – November 10th 2007)
*. Publication of Community Builder Magazine (2008 till date)
*.Attended Electoral Reforms Committee Sitting and made a presentation on the establishment of Electoral Offences Tribunal. May 30th 2008
*. Reproductive Health training For Young Adults (May 2008 Till Date)
with Society For Family Health and funded by USAID.October 2009 – September 2010.
* .Human Rights awareness and promotion among youths. (June 2009 Till Date) We received a Special human rights DVD from youthforhumanrights.org that we have been using to provide enlightenment since June 2009.
*.Attended Maternal Mortality conference in Abuja organized by WHARC in August 2009.
*.Commenced implementation of the Improving Reproductive Health in Nigeria (IRHIN) Project as the CSO implementation partner in Edo State with Society For Family Health and funded by USAID.October 2009 – September 2010.
*.Attended NEITI (Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency initiative Road Show in October 2009 in Bayelsa.
*.Attended and participated in a two day conference on Host Communities and CSOs Consultation Forum on the Petroleum Industry Bill November 27-28 2009 by Social Action.
*. Attended CSOs Training on Fiscal Responsibility Bill organized by ANEEJ on the 30th of November 2009.And later participated in the presentation of the CSOs position paper on the bill to the Edo State House of Assembly one week later.
*. Carried out Advocacy visit to the Coordinator of Primary Health Care in Egor Local Government Area and Organized Training of Nurses(Health Care Providers) in Evbuotubu Health Centre on Family Planning Counselling. (February 2010)
- Member World Toilet organization.
- Member Civil Societies for HIV & AIDS in Nigeria (CiSHAN) Edo State Chapter
- Member Nigeria Network of NGOs and CSOs For Population and Reproductive Health (NiNPREH) Edo State Chapter.and the Current State Convener (Coordinator) of the network.
- Founding member of Conference of NGOs in Edo State and member of the Research and Strategy Committeee.May 2010 till Date
- Member Publish What You Pay Coalition. Since 2006
- Member Nigerian Civil Societies Network on Water and Sanitation (NEWSAN).
Board of Trustees
Executive Committee (headed by the Executive Director)
Staff Strength : 6 Full time Staff and 15 Part time Staff.
And over 100 Volunteers.
Sources of Funding.
- From members and Volunteers.
- From our mentoring NGO (Lift Above Poverty Organisation (LAPO))
- From Research fund from Cleen Foundation.
- From local partners.
- From personal contributions and support from family members.
- From IRHIN Project.
- From NNVS Sanitation Project.
- EU MPP9 Project
- Global Fund Round Nine Home Based Care Project
Registered with Edo State Government (Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development ) Registration number ED/MWASD/NGOR/20084
(CAC Registration currently going on)
Mr Sam O. Ajufoh (Executive Director)
Phone:08033479893 email: email@example.com
Office Address:# 8 Ogbahon Street off Upper Owina Road Evbuotubu Quarters Benin City.
Guaranty Trust Bank(GT Bank) Nigeria.
Account name: Action For Community Development
Action For Community Development Life Aiders Support Group
Irrua General Hospital Irrua Esan Central Local Government.
Other Location of Volunteers, Oredo Local Government Area Egor Local
Government Area, Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area
Orhionmwon Local Government Area.